The gloss on del.icio.us seems to be aimed at the social bookmarking light-weights but is it the best choise for academics and subject librarians and, if not, what else is there?

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our library uses del.icio.us for our links. We are a public library rather than academic, but the ability to group into subjects is what makes del.icio.us more useful for us than Furl. I would play around with del.icio.us and see whether you like its features. Here is the link to our del.icio.us account.
Thanks for this. This is a well ordered del.icio.us account that appeals to the individual whose website I am updating. Ordering an account like this will be a useful adjunct.

Where is Menasha by the way?
Damian,
Have you tried Stumble Upon? It is different to Del.icio.us.
Stumble Upon
Give it a try, as it depends on what you need.

Best regards,

Christopher Hire
PS. You have a very neat 'avatar' as your profile photo!
Yeah, this is my avatar in the new, but not yet so popular, internet virtual world know as 'Grumpy, balding, Edwardian gentlemen who-eat-and-drink-too-much lifescape'.

Thanks for suggesting Stumble Upon. It looks good, if not a touch yoof. I like the bold tag cloud and the default blog approach works well, but if we're mounting academic links del.icio.uc's ability to sort them into tag bunddles will appeal to the old-skool librarians' attitude toward order.
If you want something specifically aimed at the academic market, try Connotea or CiteULike. Both are similar to bibliography software, and can pull bibliographic info from publisher pages. If your linking is going to be mostly to published articles I would definitely try these. You can add generic web links to both as well.

I would say that del.icio.us, with it's API, selection of add-ons, and longer history, is probably more flexible than most of the other systems out there. If you need something generic that can do lots of things, del.icio.us is a good choice. If you want something more targeted, or need a particular feature (like archiving), del.icio.us is not the best choice.

I use del.icio.us for my own links and for adding links to webpages, especially since they have their own javascript creation module. I don't use it for discovery as much anymore since many tags are "diluted" beyond use. I do watch a few peoples' links, but not regularly (some of them are very prolific linkers!) I have tag watches set up in CiteULike for articles that other people are tagging.

It really depends on what you want to do--save you own links, find new stuff, keep an archive, compile professional bibliographies, add links to websites, etc.
In your thrid paragraph you say you have been adding links to your webpages using del.icio.us. Could you point me to some examples of these? Is there a del.icio.uc page on this as I can't seem to find it on the website. This is very interesting to me as I have spent a long time designing a very beautiful site and I'd like everything to go in there.

Damain
I'm a fan of Diigo myself - which allows dual posting to del.icio.us,etc. Also allows you to add notes and comments to pages, highlight text, and also caches all pages bookmarked and makes them fully searchable - very handy.
This looks very good. I'm very keen on this one as it looks like it's easy to put annotated link in web pages. It's also a bonus that del.icio.us accounts can be added to simultaneously. In your experience, Is there anything del.icio.us does that this can't do? And vias-versa?
Personally, I prefer Furl. Easier to manage and it stores each web page as you bookmark it, so even if the page changes or disappears, it's on Furl. I'm just starting to play around with Diigo, which is amazing, but has a higher learning curve.

Jeri

RSS

Follow #Library20

© 2017   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service