Through access to the list of members, I noted that the majority from the United States and few from other countries, Does this mean that the United States has the lead in this area If this is the reality I want to ask where their role in the introduction of others, however, especially the developing countries, Do they think that this is more of the potential of these countries

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Hayem,

You are right that the US is leading in this area simply because the idea originated from there. I am from BiH and it is very hard to sell this concept here, since half of the libraries are unequiped or the librarians simply have a tumendous fear from inovations. I tried to talk to couple of my coleagues, but they were not that happy about it. Others that I know are already implementing something similar, but are unwilling to accept the term. Libraries of developing countries differ. Some are trying to implement inovations in their libraries, still it is hard to implement it in places where only 2% of population uses Internet/Computers regularly. Most of our users are still unajusted to how modern libraries operate. I hope this will change. Still, in order to do this you need to have group of people who would lobby for this at various places. Here in Bosnia I still haven't found anyone willing to do that. But, I am not giving up that easy. :> Thank you.
I'afraid there are collegues here too that are rather unwilling to accept working with Library 2.0. I'm a library consultant for childrens and young adult librarians and there are not few who still think that the "old" library is good enough. The Book will always be No 1 and we (the libraries) don't have to be out there on the Internet, in the communieties and so on. "Let the young people be there, we've got the Library and that trademark is strong enough."
In January I made study tour to some american libraries and was impressed how they work with teenagers. I'm now preparing a lecture to a conference over this theme and hope to make some more people interesed.
Fedja and Lo, thank you for your input. It is comforting to know that even if some librarians in other countries don't want to call new technologies "Library 2.0," they still use the new tools anyway.

Lo, I think in some ways, the book always will be No. 1-- especially for fiction and storybooks, where the needs of users are much simpler than for reference. This is true even in the United States; a lot of nonfiction and reference books are becoming more available in digital format, but most novels are still available in print.
e.g. in this social network on the forum who must express in english, and for that reason some members don't take part on it
I'm waiting for the ning new features next week. specially the ability to create groups inside a social network. with this we can create e. g. a group of portuguese librarians here and express to each other in portuguese, or create a group of law librarians, or a group of academic librarians,..
the ability to create groups inside a network is also very good because every day is created a new Ning library network (at the moment we have more than fifty) and the diffusion is getting to high, IMHO. That's good for Ning owners in a short term but in a long term will be not so good.
I also hope the creator of a group be able to choose if new members can join freely or by invitation.
The multi administrators feature of a network will be also very important.
I do completely agree with Fernando. The language and the location is a huge problem. I don't have an idea how to fix it, but if you'll take a look on E-LIS (http://eprints.rclis.org/), which is not created in the US and is not dominated by english documents, you'll find a very different picture in the representation of countries. Although there is still a dominance by the "developed countries" (You can see this here: http://eprints.rclis.org/view/countries/).
Otherwise I really like the global Lingua Franca function of english.
Thanks, all my friends on the valuable comments , I agree with you that book always will be No. 1-- especially for fiction and storybooks, Especially in the children library, Like the library, which I work, Where all statistics indicate the highest rate loan and library reading of the stories , but as Gina said “Internet - and specifically "Web 2.0" - is a global phenomenon” , Children should have access to the outside world, and we must help them and provide them with tools, But the question that arises here, How do we begin with a lack of awareness and lack of resources, I work in the library, which children can use a computer easily, but Most of the resources available in English language, Nothing valuable resources in the Arabic language, which cause difficulty of the task
So I think maybe they need for the sites do not contain many of the texts, and full of pictures and at the same time exciting and stimulating learning
I don’t know if this could be the start point to enter the world of technology and communication with the other, At the same time, worker with children in need of raising the standard of performance, and it is the role of the countries of technologically advanced, like united states They usually fund projects in many developing countries, why not support such projects????
Sounds like a job for UNESCO. Or perhaps IFLA? I guess as many Web 2.0 tools are 'freely' available, language and technological infrastructure (cost, really) present the main barriers to implementing them in libraries.
Heyam,

It's been a year since you started this discussion. I return to it with a link to wikibooks. They have some sources in Arabic as well as other languages. I hope you will find it interesting. It is my bealif that libraries in developing countries should stronlgy encourage and rely on open-source and colaborative tools. It is the only way we will be able to put us on the map of the information world. This way libraries will take an active role in fullfilling their everlasting role of providing the information and knowledge wherever, whenever and whoever.
Hello
In some Southamerican countries, I see libraries (usually University) which spend lot of money buying commercial ILS and maybe they see applications 2.0 as less powerfull tools. Also, the informatics offices are still afraid of implementing software 2.0 because there are not enough support.

RSS

About

Follow #Library20

The Learning Revolution

© 2020   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service