Well, I'm trying to get a better handle on Twitter. I have a profile: http://twitter.com/crashsolo but not a lot of twitter friends. I grabbed one off the twitter public timeline, but it struck me that i'd rather get twitterings from other library folk, particularly library 2.0 folk who are probably trying out Twitter for the same reason I am. Like all of you! So, would it be terrible to ask folks to post their Twitter IDs? Is that too personal?

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't 'get' twitter... I signed up for it just now to see if I can find out what the fuss is about :)
http://twitter.com/Kate95616
I'm also trying to get a better handle on Twitter. I have added you as a friend. Maybe we will all figure it out. It made more sense to me during a conference, where I could see what everyone was saying about their experiences. Anyways, I don't know if posting twitter ID's is too personal or not, but here is mine. crosepearson (http://twitter.com/crosepearson). I do like the ability to add the "Badge" on your MySpace. I wonder if that works in Ning.
Just a follow-up. Yes, the badge thing does work on Ning.
Once I found a few library folks on Twitter, I was able to use their friend list to track down others, and befriend them. There doesn't appear to be a search feature, but it would be nice to find people by elements of their profile, like their town or bio keyword. I think it's interesting as a 'mini blog' where you are forced into an economy of words, but as we've all learned from Edward Tufte's essay "The Cognitive Style Of Powerpoint" an economy of words does not make for an effective transfer of dense information. It does seem to be a sort of barometer, though - if you could have a ton of library types on your list, and they all put up a twitter every few hours to say what they're doing, it might be interesting to see how similar/different the directions we all take our days.
Same situation here. I signed up for evaluation purposes. My profile is http://twitter.com/jamesday24. One possible use I can see is library technology staff using it to let librarians know where they are at the moment, for example "Installing computers at the East Branch". We could post by phone as we move about.
Yeah, I like the idea of a fast way to send updates - if all your library people were in twitter, and freinds with each other, then getting updates could be quick and easy, and wouldn't clog inboxes. The over the phone update is increasingly relevant as more people have phones with email capabilities in them. (mine doesn't. I don't even have a camera phone yet...)
Twitter is so ridiculously pointless - or it is the way I use it! - but there is also something quite fun about posting short random things and reading other people's random rambles too - i'm there as iOverlord
Well, coincidentally (or not, maybe I'm just floating along with the meme wave), NPR had a story on Twitter today. One of the tidbits of info was that Twitter was inspired by the custom away messages people use on their IM clients. That makes more sense to me- perhaps because a lot of the folks I know from gaming use their IM away messages that way. People frequently say things like "at Daves, bbl" or "playing WoW, message me in game" on their away messages. One friend of mine used to put the url of his most recent amusing webpage discovery as his away message, to share it with folks. Very Twitter-like. Twitter is not, as originally thought, necessarily an ongoing dialog (although folks do seem to use it for that some) but a little chunklet of info the Twitter users shares with each other. And unlike the away message, a Twitter message persists and can be reviewed later.
it seems like once you've found a couple of people, you can find a whole lot more. I'm seeing some interesting uses of Twitter out there - mostly microblog/away messages, but also people posting URLs of things. It would be cool if (and maybe you can) you could make small groups of your friends, and just see what each smaller group is twittering, instead of all or nothing. That way you could keep track of a few people - i'm thinking in terms of work, if a group goes to a conference, or all the managers, or whatever - if you've only got a dozen contacts, it wouldn't matter, but i'm seeing people out there with thousands. I like the idea of posting resources or events, or links to events pages, or something like that - twitter as a gateway to other resources. On the other hand, if everyone is doing it then maybe it's just more noise. It's definitely one to keep track of and try things with, if only because of its increasing popularity. What does Twitter tell us about people? What's the next level of evolution?
I signed up for Twitter about a month ago, just out of curiosity. It seems like it would be fun for keeping up with family and friends who live out of the area, but otherwise it does seem a little pointless. Of course, that's what I thought about MySpace at first, and now I'm a hopeless MySpace addict. You can find me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/crumj. Feel free to add me if you want. I need more practice with these tools.

RSS

About

Follow #Library20

The Learning Revolution

© 2020   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service