Hi I'm Chris and need help.

I am currently helping my mom (k-8 Principal) electronically catalog her Library. I thought I understood the general principals for assigning catalog numbers, be it fiction, non-fiction, biographies etc.. But I apparently don't.

If someone could contact me with a brieft run through of the concept.

Problem #1 I understand that Fiction is catergorized by Authors last name etc ie. (FIC GRA) However, I came across some of Grimms' Fairy Tales and the book was marked 398.2 leading me to the Social Science's Folklore section. I understand the story is considered folklore, but don't understand why it is not just considered Fiction and in the Fiction section.

Problem #2 I came across an Anthology and i have some recollection that this does not get put with fiction (bedtime stories) and actually is cataloged in the dewey decimal system and when I was looking for what section (which I still haven't found) I came across a section 813 Fiction!!!! What goes in this fiction? I thought all fiction went under FIC. Please Help!

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure some of the expert catalogers of this social network will give clear explanations, but I will explain it in elementary terms I use with my students:

The entire collection of Fiction and Easy books could be classified in a Dewy number in the 300s or the 800s. But because there are so many, most libraries pull them out and shelve them in their own area of the library...otherwise there would be 20+ shelves with those numbers alone! Putting them in a section by themselves (thus a Dewey Call Number of "Fiction" (FIC) or "Easy" (E) followed by the author's last name) makes it simpler to locate or find for a patron. That's a quick and dirty explanation I would give to a student, anyway.

I admire you for tackling this project, and I hope the many expert catalogers out there will explain it in more official terms. I am a mere school librarian, and quite frankly, I purchase my marc records or search for ones to download from the Library of Congress when I have to catalog on my own. Maybe that site can help you too.
Thank you for your response. Looking at what kind of books we have here and our needs I am trying to categorize them in a fiction not fiction order. So that if a student is looking for a book to read they can be directed to the FIC section. If they are looking for some factual knowledge i.e. strict non-fiction they can be directed to the other side. Your response let me know I wasn't crazy and makes sense. Looking forward to seeing how others have tackled this problem. I want to be as consistent as possible and learn a little bit more about where the line is drawn. I would definitely prefer to have Grimms' Fairy Tales etc in the Fiction section.
I have been in quite a few school libraries and they all catalog fairytales in 398.2 so I would tend to do that. You want all fairytales together for easy browsing for teacher and student alike. If students know that all fairytales are there they will look for them as they did during my fieldwork (I am in library school). Fiction is all well and good but I think it might be a poor decision to put all of those fairytales interfiled with Easy reading or general fiction. I would suggest at least having a few designations including: Fiction, Fairytales (other Non-fiction call numbers as well), Easy Readers, Young Adult, Juvenile if you find that necessary. It all depends on the size of your collection. Another good suggestion would be to weed the collection prior to starting a cataloging project because it is foolish to catalog books that should be taken out of the collection due to age, lack of circulation, condition, or incorrect knowledge. Good luck,

HT

RSS

About

Follow #Library20

The Learning Revolution

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service