A technical question that I'm hoping someone may be able to answer.

I'm looking to start a wiki to replace and improve an annual article that we publish. The article, as it stands, consists largely of listings without much added information; I generate it by updating the changed information each year and mail-merging it into a word document.

Is there a way to merge this information into a series of wiki pages? If this goes through, I'll have about 200 to generate as a starting point, so I'd prefer not to have to do them manually. Any advice/experience you have would be welcome.

The software is MediaWiki.

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're trying to do, but it sounds like it should be able to be done on a wiki. But then, if you're the only one working on the listings, why not just make a webpage of it?
I'm planning it as a wiki so that others could build off of it. I'm the only one compiling listings now, which is time-consuming to get basic information together; the people who actually generate the information would (I hope) be able to provide much more useful and detailed information with the same or less effort.
Sorry I've not responded sooner, Greg.

There's a "cultural" aspect to a wiki - and that is collaboration. Think of Wikipedia - there are people who spend most of their days adding/editing Wikipedia. That's why it works - not just because one person has the mission.

Is that sense of wanting to help for the sake of helping present in your situation? It sounds like it's all on your shoulders. That sounds as if it would make it difficult to modify your workspace's culture to allow for greater collaboration.

RSS

About

Follow #Library20

The Learning Revolution

© 2020   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service