Does anyone here use a wiki or blog for communicating with co-workers? I'm trying to work on a better way for reference librarians to communicate with each other about new assignments, printer meltdowns, new helpful resources, etc. I even have dreams of getting our reference manual online. It would be easy enough to set up a blog with logins for everyone, but I like the flexibility of a wiki. Anyone know of good open source wiki software that offers page access control? Wikipedia has a comparison table of wiki software, but I'd be really happy to get recommendations. Thanks!

Views: 603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do worry about throwing what could be perceived as "one more thing to learn" at people, especially since we've been going through lots of changes this year. I have a few "early adopters" on board, however, and if we can market this as something to make the job easier (and if I can find an easy-to-use tool), it has a good chance of working.
**nodding vigorously** So true!
Oh yeah, me too! Getting buy in from staff is so hard. I thought I could infect everyone with my enthusiasm, but alas, we are such a big organization my influence is slow to spread. Argh!
I don't work in a library (rather, a medical records office), but we do use Moodle, and it's been very popular. It did require some training sessions to get everyone on the same page, but it's been a great way to keep in touch (we have several offices in different locations in the city).

In general, they're good ideas for in-staff memos, communications, and scheduling.
While I hate having to use them as a "customer" myself, it sounds like a CRM customer relationship management package might have the right features for what you're trying to accomplish. There are some free or very inexpensive CRMs available out there, try http://www.freecrm.com/ or http://www.boldchat.com/v4/info/editions_ecrm.jsp for instance (I can't speak to whether these are good products or not, just examples that might help to answer the question of whether the category of software might meet your needs).
We are using PMwiki, although I don't think we'd recommend it. We have a problem with its lack of hierarchical structure. We use wikis for discussion within our library consortium of 16 institutions. Being geographically disperse, this could be a great collaborative tool. Some of our task groups, like our User Interface Group use it extensively. Others use it less, I think its just a matter of the people on the group. Being wiki wacky I am also using TiddlyWiki on my desktop to kept track of my own info.
Hi Erica,

Getting on a bit late in the forum but I'd like to throw my hat in for the Wetpaint.com wiki. I tried using PBwiki--it did look promising--but didn't have time to learn the special formatting required to make simple changes to my pages. I wanted a wiki with a WYSIWYG and didn't come across one until wetpaint came along. Wetpaint is fairly new but got good nods from TechCrunch . I love the WYSIWYG editor, simple interface, customizable templates, and other perks that leave other wikis in the dust.

I maintain three separate wikis using wetpaint, all based around a single concept/project. Check one out at http://collectionmanagement.wetpaint.com/

Good luck!
Memo
Hi Erica, I work for a large public library consortium and we've been working very hard to get a Wiki together to serve as a sort of online manual/policy and procedures reference/central system contact/discussion resource.
It's not quite ready to be unveiled yet, but here's the url anyway:
http://pals.suffolk.lib.ny.us/wiki/doku.php
We hope to get enough basic content up to bring it out to our libraries soon... it's sort of an open secret around our system. :)
I don't know if you're still concerned about this issue, but I know a vendor who is happily using pbwiki.com as a working environment for various conference-related wiki activities.

Very nice good information thanks a lot for sharing

RSS

About

Follow #Library20

The Learning Revolution

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service