Your Name and Title: Dr. Ruphina Ozoh

Library, School, or Organization Name: School of Library and Information Science, San Jose State University, San Jose, California

Area of the World from Which You Will Present: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience(s): Public Library Administrators, Managers and Staff

Short Session Description: Management Challenges of Public Libraries

Full Session Description:

Public libraries are very important in any society.  They offer free access to materials in various formats, which are used in fulfilling the educational, informational, recreational and cultural needs of a wide variety of people.  Public libraries are constantly evolving and they face many challenges in the 21st century. In order to remain relevant, library management must aspire to find creative ways of addressing some of the many issues that can prevent them from providing cutting edge services and materials to users.  Some of the challenges that will be examined by this session include:

• Funding
  • Technology
  • Diversity
  • Unruly Patrons
  • Intellectual Freedom   

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This sounds like an interesting session. I would be interested to know how other library professionals are keeping up with technology. I thought I was keeping up with technology until I joined the library world. As a circulation supervisor, I feel that I need to be at least as knowledgeable as my staff, but there's so much on the internet that it's hard, and learning to use social media, and web navigation, is almost a full-time job in itself. I feel that having these skills are crucial. If I can't keep up, how can I help the library implement new technology and teach information literacy skills? I've been taking online college classes and my current classes are technical services. This is helping. I was under the impression that computers would make life easier. After all, when I was growing up, that's how society viewed the computer's role. As the current generation ages, and I mean the children that are using tablets when they're three, maybe this issue of keeping up won't be an issue. Maybe they'll be teaching us!

Hi Paula,

The growth of technology has forced library professionals to rethink the way information is collected, stored, and dispensed.  Unlike before, library employees in Reference, Circulation and Technical services departments are required to take a fresh look at their duties in order to be successful. I worked in the public library for many years and had to learn how to utilize different electronic resources in order to successfully assist patrons of all ages and backgrounds.  I hope you can attend the session.

I think that's the stage I'm in right now--discovering which resources will help the most. I hope I can attend too.

RSS

About

Follow #Library20

The Learning Revolution

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service