Your Name and Title: Dr Helen E Lees

Library, School, or Organization Name: Other Consulting 1

Co-Presenter Name(s): none

Area of the World from Which You Will Present: UK

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience(s): Library managers and librarians

Short Session Description (one line): Considering silence as being able to manage it

Full Session Description (as long as you would like): 

This session is an overview of issues connected to library silence. I am currently starting work as a consultant for academic libraries, helping them to manipulate silence for optimal study environments. Some libraries have lost their silence and need to get it back; others want less and to encourage discussion. Different spaces have different needs, at different times. How to ensure that people moving into and out of various spaces take or leave silence, use it and don't ruin or ignore it? How to get co-operation for silence without coercion? I will talk about how silence functions in communities and the effects it has, from the point of view of using it for benefits. Particular focus will be paid on uses which enhance thought, study and well-being. I will also outline some aspects of managing silence that are within the sole remit of librarians - to open discussion within the library community about the significance of silence -and its myriad natures - for library spaces.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session: www.otherconsulting.com

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Helen!  Thanks for presenting.  I just need to make sure that you know that the way we support the conference is through sponsorship, so anyone presenting from a commercial entity has to either be a sponsor or promise not to advertise or promote their services as a part of their session.  Thanks!

Hi Steve - my consultancy is only just starting up and I haven't traded yet so cannot sponsor. I will be presenting from an academic point of view and won't mention my consultancy. I hope that sounds ok.

Best wishes

Helen

RSS

About

Follow #Library20

The Learning Revolution

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service