Your Name and Title: David Green, Library Systems Manager & Open Data Program Manager

Library, School, or Organization Name: Chapel Hill Public Library (Town of Chapel Hill, NC)

Co-Presenter Name(s): Dave Pcolar, Luke Stroud

Area of the World from Which You Will Present: Chapel Hill, NC USA (EDT; UTC-4)

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience(s): Librarians interested in expanding the value of their organizations.

Short Session Description (one line): An overview of purpose, processes, and implementation of a municipal open data portal provided by a public library.

Full Session Description (as long as you would like): Public libraries are natural partners for local governments looking to facilitate access to information and increase transparency. Chapel Hill Open Data, managed by Chapel Hill Public Library, launched in 2016 and continues to grow. This lively panel includes the program manager and the developers who open the data. They will offer both high level perspectives on why libraries are well-suited to provide this service as well as practical guidance for libraries and localities.

At the end of this session, attendees will:

1. Understand why libraries are uniquely suited to collaborate with local governments in their open data efforts.
  2. Know what is involved in planning, launching, and sustaining an open data service.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session:

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Chapel Hill Open Data page looks amazing!!! Will this be a part of the Open Data mini-conference being held on Wednesday? If so, I look forward to learning more about your work!

- LaToya 

Thank you, LaToya! We do have the good fortune of presenting a concurrent session today for the Open Data mini-conference. We won't be talking much about the look of the website, but rather how we get the data to the site. Please join us and I'd be happy to talk about any other topics of interest you may have with Chapel Hill Open Data at a later date, too.

Thank you so much David for responding! What time is your session today? I have a staff meeting this afternoon and want to ensure that I do not miss it! Thank you again, this sounds very interesting!

- LaToya

You're welcome, LaToya. Our session is at 4:00pm Eastern (I think that's your time zone?). You can see the full schedule based on time zone here: https://www.library20.com/page/sessions-and-schedule.

And if you can't make it, there will be recordings (may want to register for the conference if you haven't already:

"The event recordings will appear shortly afterward on Library 2.0 and we will also email you a direct link to a special recordings page to let you know when the recordings have been posted. You need to be registered (free) and logged into the Library 2.0 network to view them."

Thank you David, this is perfect! I am looking forward to listening to this! Have a wonderful day!

RSS

About

Follow #Library20

The Learning Revolution

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service