the future of libraries in the digital age
Your Name and Title: Melanie Metzger, Assistant Library Director: Children’s Services
Library, School, or Organization Name: Harris County Public Library System
Co-Presenter Name(s): Christina Thompson, Assistant Branch Librarian
Area of the world from which you will present: Houston, Texas, USA
Language in which you will present: English
Target Audience(s): Library leadership, librarians
Short Session Description (one line): This session will show how self-paced, online training modules can help every member of your staff feel more confident in their positions and core system knowledge, allowing them to give better customer service, and can be fun – plus full of fun loot!
Full Session Description (as long as you would like): The HCPL Treasure Hunt was developed for staff training by Harris County Public Library’s Leadership Innovation Team to establish core system knowledge for working in the library system. This session will present the following methods HCPL used to create a fun, informative training event.
1) Identifying your core system knowledge
2) Making it self-paced, but within a time period
3) Encouraging interactivity without “passing the answers around”
4) Getting incentives without a budget
5) The technology and resources used to create the HCPL Treasure Hunt training that you can adapt to your needs