Facebook Article

A recent article about Facebook that has a few points worthy of consideration:http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebookFrom the article (Please note that he actually mentions the idea of people as commodities! Yes!):Or you might reflect that you don't really want to be part of this heavily-funded programme to create an arid global virtual republic, where your own self and your relationships with your friends are converted into commodites on sale to giant global brands. You may decide that you don't want to be part of this takeover bid for the world.For my own part, I am going to retreat from the whole thing, remain as unplugged as possible, and spend the time I save by not going on Facebook doing something useful, such as reading books. Why would I want to waste my time on Facebook when I still haven't read Keats' Endymion? And when there are seeds to be sown in my own back yard? I don't want to retreat from nature, I want to reconnect with it. Damn air-conditioning! And if I want to connect with the people around me, I will revert to an old piece of technology. It's free, it's easy and it delivers a uniquely individual experience in sharing information: it's called talking.

You need to be a member of Library 2.0 to add comments!

Join Library 2.0

Email me when people reply –