"The Substance Abusing Patron: Staff Safety and the Public Health”
Part of a special Library 2.0 series with Dr. Steve Albrecht
A 60-minute training webinar presented by Library 2.0 and hosted by ALA author and library safety and security expert, Dr. Steve Albrecht.
What happens at home or in the streets often ends up at the library. Some social issues can impact how libraries and their staff provide services to patrons, including those who have mental health issues or are experiencing homelessness on a temporary or chronic basis. Some patrons who have each of those major life concerns are often suffering from addictions to street drugs, prescription drugs, or alcohol (or all three). These patrons can bring behavioral problems and health issues to the library. Their behavior can range from compliant and cooperative, to threatening and violent (especially when they are in withdrawal from their drug of choice), or even dangerous, as they become a medical emergency by overdosing.
This webinar is guided by Dr. Albrecht‘s support of Library Director Cindy Grove’s valuable 2020 ALA book, Libraries and the Substance Abuse Crisis: Supporting Your Community.
The goal for this program is to help library leaders and employees at all levels to learn to recognize substance abuse warning signs - including medical distress - in patrons and take the right legal, ethical, and safe steps to protect everyone in the library.
- ALA Author Cindy Grove’s Libraries and the Substance Abuse Crisis: Dr. Steve’s Book Report
- The national scope of alcohol abuse and street drug use.
- The addiction model: a free-will issue or a medical treatment need?
- Recognizing drug and alcohol intoxication in patrons.
- Opioid users and their risk of death from fentanyl exposure.
- Narcan: A Miracle Drug available to all.
- Stimulant drug users and aggression.
- Hallucinogen use among teens and young adults.
- Marijuana users in the library: vapes and edibles.
- Assessing medical risks: simply asleep or dying?
- Communicating behavioral boundaries and Code of Conduct concerns with patrons under the influence.
- When, if ever, do we need to call the police?
- Library outreach for addicted patrons in need of help.
- The power of sobriety in saving and reclaiming lives.
DATE: Friday, April 30th, 2021, at 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
COST: $99/person - includes any-time access to the recording and the presentation slides. For significant group discounts, to submit a purchase order, or for any registration difficulties or questions, email email@example.com.
TO REGISTER: Click HERE. You will first need to be a member of Library 2.0 (free) and be logged in. Please click "Sign Up" on the top right and we'll approve you quickly.
You can pay by PayPal or credit card, and will receive immediate and permanent access to the webinar recording. If you have any trouble registering for a webinar, if you need to be invoiced, or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an individual annual all-access pass to all of Dr. Albrecht's live and recorded webinars for one year, please click here.
Inquiries for all-access organizational contracts should be directed to email@example.com.