"Customer Service in Stressful Situations: Step-by-Step to Better Interactions with Patrons"
Part of the Library 2.0 "Essential Librarian" Series with Dr. Steve Albrecht
A 60-minute training webinar presented by Library 2.0 and hosted by ALA author and library service, safety, and security expert, Dr. Steve Albrecht.
It can be hard to talk with certain patrons, for a variety of reasons. Our ability to provide the best service possible to them means we have to be even better listeners and ask useful questions, especially when the patron is either under stress or having trouble communicating with us. This session can help you get conversational control before things spiral in wrong directions and ruin the library experience for you and them.
This overview session on how to respond step-by-step to service situations in the library is another in our “Essential Librarian Series,” designed to be shown to new staff and leaders and to provide a refresher for all who work in the library. A discussion guide, as well as the presentation slides, will be available to all who participate.
- What makes talking to rude or entitled patrons so tough?
- How not to take it personally.
- What can learn from the Hawaiians about excellent customer service?
- Defining the Library Patron’s Customer Value Model.
- The value of using questioning models: therapeutic, open-ended, closed-ended
- Talking to an angry parent.
- Getting help for non-English speaking patrons.
- Talking to a delusional, confused patron.
- Helping patrons with possible dementia issues.
- What about the tearful patron?
DATE: Thursday, April 28th, 2022, at 2:00 pm US - Eastern Time
- $99/person - includes any-time access to the recording and the presentation slides and to receive a participation certificate. To arrange group discounts (see below), to submit a purchase order, or for any registration difficulties or questions, email email@example.com.
- FREE for those on individual or group all-access passes (see below).
TO REGISTER: Click HERE. You will first need to be a member of Library 2.0 (free) and be logged in. Please click "Sign Up" on the top right and we'll approve you quickly. You can pay by PayPal or credit card, and will receive immediate and permanent access to the webinar recording. If you have any trouble registering for a webinar, if you need to be invoiced, or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: please check your spam folder if you don't receive your confirmation email right away.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES (email email@example.com to arrange):
- Multiple individual log-ins and access from the same organization paid together: $75 each for 3+ registrations, $65 each for 5+ registrations.
- The ability to show the webinar (live or recorded) to a group located in the same physical location or in the same virtual meeting from one log-in: $299.
- Large-scale institutional access for viewing with individual login capability: $499 (hosted either at Library 2.0 or in Niche Academy).
- All-access annual passes include access to the recordings of all of Dr. Albrecht's previous Library 2.0 webinars, plus live and recorded access to his new webinars for one year. These are hosted either at Library 2.0 or Niche Academy (if preferred).
- For a $499 individual all-access annual pass to all of Dr. Albrecht's live webinars and recordings for one year, please click here.
- Inquiries for all-access organizational contracts should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.