"Library Civility: Taking Care of Each Other"
Part of the Library 2.0 series with Dr. Steve Albrecht
A 60-minute training webinar presented by Library 2.0 and hosted by ALA author and library service, safety, and security expert, Dr. Steve Albrecht.
So much of library work is about serving patrons that we can sometimes forget to take care of each other.
Much of service in the library is outwardly focused, on the needs of the various patrons or groups who we strive to support with information, empathy, and patience. Do our colleagues and co-workers require these same benefits? Yes. Can we become so outwardly focused on the “patron service culture” that we ignore or worse, do harm to the employee work culture? Of course.
It’s easy to get along with people who think and act just like us. We need to develop self-directed tools to help us get along with co-workers or bosses who do not always share our perspectives on how to do our jobs. We need to be able to solve internal disagreements before they grow into conflicts that cause good employees to shift down, stop trying hard, or leave in frustration.
Do people leave toxic work cultures? Yes, but they also leave mostly positive work environments, where they are ignored, taken for granted, and not praised for their creativity, effort, and ability to show up every day with a positive, work-hard attitude. Isn’t it time we learned better how to celebrate each other? We can balance the scales between serving and supporting our patrons and serving and supporting our co-workers. There is room in your library for both.
- Diversity self-awareness as a civility tool for patrons and co-workers.
- Age differences as a shadow source of conflict.
- Gossip as a work culture divider.
- The power of praise.
- The Manager/Supervisor’s Work Culture Tool Kit
- The Employee’s Supportive Tool Kit
- The value of rituals, rewards, celebrations, and ceremonies.
DATE: Thursday, March 10, 2022, at 2:00 pm Eastern Time
- $99/person - includes any-time access to the recording and the presentation slides and to receive a participation certificate. To arrange group discounts (see below), to submit a purchase order, or for any registration difficulties or questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FREE for those on individual or group all-access passes (see below).
TO REGISTER: Click HERE. You will first need to be a member of Library 2.0 (free) and be logged in. Please click "Sign Up" on the top right and we'll approve you quickly. You can pay by PayPal or credit card, and will receive immediate and permanent access to the webinar recording. If you have any trouble registering for a webinar, if you need to be invoiced, or if you have any questions, please email email@example.com. NOTE: please check your spam folder if you don't receive your confirmation email right away.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES (email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange):
- Multiple individual log-ins and access from the same organization paid together: $75 each for 3+ registrations, $65 each for 5+ registrations.
- The ability to show the webinar (live or recorded) to a group located in the same physical location or in the same virtual meeting from one log-in: $299.
- Large-scale institutional access for viewing with individual login capability: $499 (hosted either at Library 2.0 or in Niche Academy).
- All-access annual passes include access to the recordings of all of Dr. Albrecht's previous Library 2.0 webinars, plus live and recorded access to his new webinars for one year.
- For a $499 individual all-access annual pass to all of Dr. Albrecht's live webinars and recordings for one year, please click here.
- Can be hosted at Library 2.0 or Niche Academy.
- Inquiries for all-access organizational contracts should be directed to email@example.com.