"Ten Library Service Myths Every Librarian Should Challenge"
Part of the Library 2.0 Series with Dr. Steve Albrecht
Ten Library Service Myths - is it time to question what we think we already know about taking care of patrons’ needs in the library? This overview session is another in our “Essential Librarian Series,” for all library staff and library leaders to consider certain longhand beliefs about serving patrons that need more thought. A discussion guide, as well as the presentation slides, will be available to all who participate.
This 60-minute training webinar is presented by Library 2.0 and hosted by ALA author and library service, safety, and security expert, Dr. Steve Albrecht.
We'll discuss how many of these ten service concepts you have accepted, taken to be true, or even rationalized:
- The Customer Is Always Right.
- The Golden Rule is a good rule of thumb.
- Multi-tasking while helping patrons saves us time and effort.
- Smiling and using a patron’s name several times in the conversation is a good idea.
- It’s never okay to tell patrons “no” and stop helping them; you’re done when they’re done.
- Good service skills just can’t be taught; you either have them or you don’t.
- When choosing to hire a service employee with experience versus enthusiasm, hire for experience.
- You can’t fix an employee’s bad service attitude.
- Library employees are not allowed to be blunt and direct with patrons.
- Providing incorrect information to a patron is not that big of a deal; we all make mistakes.
DATE: Friday, July 29, 2022, at 2:00 pm US - Eastern Time
- $99/person - includes any-time access to the recording and the presentation slides and receiving a participation certificate. To arrange group discounts (see below), to submit a purchase order, or for any registration difficulties or questions, email email@example.com.
- FREE for those on individual or group all-access passes (see below).
Click above to pay. You can pay by credit card, and will receive an email within a day with information on how to attend the webinar live and then your permanent access to the webinar recording. If you have any trouble registering for a webinar, if you need to be invoiced or pay by check, or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: please check your spam folder if you don't receive your confirmation email right away.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES (email email@example.com to arrange):
- Multiple individual log-ins and access from the same organization paid together: $75 each for 3+ registrations, $65 each for 5+ registrations. Unlimited and non-expiring access for those log-ins.
- The ability to show the webinar (live or recorded) to a group located in the same physical location or in the same virtual meeting from one log-in: $299.
- Large-scale institutional access for viewing with individual login capability: $499 (hosted either at Library 2.0 or in Niche Academy). Unlimited and non-expiring access for those log-ins.
- All-access annual passes include unlimited access to the recordings of all of Dr. Albrecht's previous Library 2.0 webinars, plus live and recorded access to his new webinars for one year. These are hosted either at Library 2.0 or Niche Academy (if preferred).
- For a $499 individual all-access annual pass to all of Dr. Albrecht's live webinars and recordings for one year, please click here.
- Inquiries for all-access organizational contracts should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.